400g mixed dried fruit (raisins, sultanas, currants)
1 apple, peeled, cored and coarsely grated
4 tbls brandy (optional)
80g orange marmalade
75g brown sugar
25g kithul honey
1 tsp MA’s Mixed Spice
1 tsp MA’s Cinnamon Powder
50g almonds, finely chopped (optional)
300g plain flour, sifted
70g icing sugar
150g butter, chilled, chopped
1 egg yolk
2-3 tbs iced water
1. Mix together all ingredients and cover with a plastic wrap.
2. Put aside for 2 days, mixing twice a day.
1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Place flour, butter and sugar in a food processor and pulse until a breadcrumb consistency is achieved. Add the egg yolk and a little water bit by bit until it just comes together.
3. Roll into a ball and cover in plastic wrap. Put into the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
4. Remove from refrigerator and from two thirds of the pastry, make the pie shells.
5. Fill with fruit mixture.
6. Cut a star shaped piece from the remaining pastry and put on top of the pies.
7. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
8. Serve warm or cold.